May 11, 2009

A Look Inside

It was finally time to take a look inside this engine and see how much damage has been done over the years. Hopefully, I won't find much, I can put it back together, and everything will be fine.
As you can see, the screws holding things together are a bit... corroded. Not a good sign of things to come, that's for sure.
I get all the screws holding the valve cover and air cleaner cover on... except one. It won't budge. And in the process of using what muscles I do have, the screw began to strip out. Not wanting to strip it so much so as to have to drill it out, I grab my trusty Dremel, and cut a notch in the screw head so I can use a large flat head screwdriver on it.
But even that doesn't help things. The screwdriver is still slipping. I soak the screw in WD-40, in the hopes that it will loosen things up. But no such luck. So on the way home from work, I pick up a trusty can of...
This stuff is like Chuck Norris in a can! You spray it on, and it immediately begins to roundhouse-kick rust, corrosion, and stickiness, freeing up what you need to free up. It also works great as a hot sauce.
So with that last screw out, I can remove the air cleaner cover, and get at the last 2 screws holding the valve cover on. They take a little effort, but being protected from the elements, there's little issue. During the rebuild, I hope to replace all these screws with stainless machine screws. They're easier to remove, and last longer. Plus, they look sharp! And let's face it... Cafe Racers are all about image.
So the valve cover is off, and everything looks OK so far. Of course, I still can't see the important stuff, like the valves and pistons, where most of the moisture would be, if it did get up into the engine. Once I figure out how to rotate the cam shaft, and get the rocker arms, cam chain, valves, and head off, we'll be able to see more.

2 comments:

  1. well Mike, I have just found your blog here and have enjoyed reading about the motorcycle's "rebirth" hope there are some more updates because I am looking into the same fortune of buying an old 750 and rebuilding it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bwah ha haaa! Hi there Mike. I am a total CB750K freak. I have had 4? of your bike. Crashed the first one thus I had to learn about working on them. I would say "Yer a freak" for building your bike in your house...if I didn't build one in my living room myself.
    Anyway, I have a friend who has never cleaned out his carbs and I am now living in Japan so I cannot go over to his house in WA State and help. Did you do a page when you were on the carbs or are you not there yet?
    I will visit again. Just wanted to say "Good wrenching". Nothing is better than a CB750. Also, I have 2 CB750 manuals in pdf form if you need them.
    If you want, drop by my blog or email at kaze@goldencenter.org and I will mail em to you.
    Rock on
    Kaze

    ReplyDelete