May 6, 2009

Engine Removal

Well that was fun.

It's been a while since my last update. I'm not sure why I haven't gone ahead and done this, but I really should have. I also should have spent more time prepping the engine and remembering all the things that were in the service manual.


Anyway, here's the frame and engine. I got the rear stand off, and then...


You guessed it, the front stand. I did have to lift the bike up by myself to get the stands out, but it wasn't as bad as I had imagined. However, there are two things I should have done before this. The first being removing the oil filter, and the second being removing the oil pan. It would have been easier to remove them while the bike was upright, and I could have fit a oil pan under them.

But there was one thing that I wasn't expecting.

The bike peed on the floor. Sort of. Apparently there was water in the frame, and when I tipped the bike over, it decided to flow out through a hole in the tail. No problem... I'll just wrap some paper towels around it like a make-shift diaper.

So with the "diaper" in place, I get the bike over. the engine bolts came out easily, which I wasn't expecting. I barely had to use tools. However, when I attempted to pull the frame up over the engine, no deal. The oil filter and oil pan had to be removed.

So, with the engine now smaller than the frame, I was able to easily pick it up, turn it slightly, and pop... off it comes.

So now I'm left with just the engine and the frame. I can clean the frame up now, and finally start tearing into the engine to see how much damage all that moisture and time did. Hopefully, not much.



No comments:

Post a Comment