April 26, 2009

Carbs

Someone once said that "Carburetor is French for 'Don't $*@!-ing touch!' ". After removing mine and beginning to disassemble it, I agree with them.

After examining the tiny parts, screws, springs, gaskets, floats, supports, etc. that make up the entire carb ass'y, I'm beginning to appreciate the fuel injection system on my SV. However, once you tear apart a FI system on a modern engine, you begin to appreciate the simplicity of a carbureted engine.

However I didn't realize this at the time, and jumping right into things, starting with the carb, proved to be quite disconcerting. I quickly lost all hope into having the ability to rebuild this bike with the skills I had (or lacked). The cover went over the bike, and it sat in the parking lot, next to my truck and SV for almost 2 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment