April 26, 2009

"Rebirth"... sort of.

So with the failure of my SV, and my eminent decent into insanity, I take the only appropriate course of action... begin work once again on my CB project.

After a few months of stewing over it, and trying to decide the best place to undertake such a job, I make the decision to move the bike inside where I can work on it at my leisure in a climate controlled environment free from bugs and bird droppings. However, with my apartment on the 2nd floor, and the CB weighing in at almost 500 lbs, it won't be able to make the trip in once piece.


So I begin wrenching. Piece by piece it came apart, and alot easier than what I was expecting. There was quite a bit of surface rust, but mechanically and structurally, it seemed ok. Surprising to me after sitting outside for almost 2 years with nothing protecting it from the heat, cold, rain, and hot sun of SE Virginia.

I remove the handlebars, controls and front fender.

Next comes the front wheel, gas tank, seat, and rear fender.

Finally, the front suspension comes off, as well as the exhaust system... or what was left of it.

Next, the rear wheel comes off.


After that, the rear suspension.

I'm left with a pile of parts, all thrown together on that piece of plywood in the living room. The bike was down to nothing more than the frame and the engine, and I figured it would take much effort from me, and one more person to wrestle in the estimated 300 lbs of metal up the stairs and through the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment