April 27, 2009

More dirty hands

Well, I worked a little more on the bike tonight. Got dirty again. Every part of this bike is dirty. You'd think that sitting out in the rain would clean it at least a little bit.

Anyway, after a little research, I got a few tips on how to get the engine out. Looks like the easiest way will be to get everything unhooked, tip the bike on it's right side, and simply pull the frame up off the engine. Sounds simple, but I'm assured that it can be problematic.

So, tonight I unhooked the oil tank from the bike. I unhooked the oil hoses last night, with very little spillage. The plywood should catch most of the little drips and accidents... but I don't think it could handle an entire quart of oil. Of course, I'm pretty sure I waved goodbye to my security deposit a long time ago.

So the oil tank is off, I unhooked the starter from the motor, and also took off the rubber extensions from the engine that go to the carburetor when it's installed. Not necessary, but figured I might as well pull one more thing off it, and feel like I accomplished something.
I may stop at the hardware store tomorrow and look for something to plug up the oil feeder hose holes at the bottom of the engine. That way when I tip it, it won't leak all over the place.

No comments:

Post a Comment